May 10, 2006

 

Ruud upset at missing Keane game

Will Ruud van Nistelrooy still be at Old Trafford next season?

Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy said he was "not allowed" to play in Roy Keane's testimonial.
Speculation continues that the 29-year-old's United career may be over after he left Old Trafford before Sunday's game against Charlton.

He had expected to play in Keane's testimonial against Celtic but instead travelled to a World Cup training camp.

"I wanted to pay my respects to Roy. I wasn't allowed to so that was the most painful thing," he said.

Keane said he was disappointed his former team-mate missed the game.

"I spoke to Ruud. It was unfortunate and disappointing he wasn't here but everyone has their own path to go down," said Keane.

"I don't think it is right for me to start commenting on Ruud's situation."

"But I did get on quite well with him and I do know there are two sides to every story. Maybe one day we will find out what happened.

"Ruud is still under contract to United and I wish him well."

Meanwhile, Holland coach Marco van Basten called up 17 players for a four-day training camp in Katwijk and added Van Nistelrooy on Sunday.

"Ruud called me on Sunday, explained the whole situation and that he was asked to leave," said Van Basten.

"Because he wouldn't be playing in the match for Keane we added him to the squad."

Van Nistelrooy found first-team opportunities hard to come by for United in the second half of the season.

The Dutchman drove away before Sunday's game at Old Trafford, amid reports that he was unhappy at being left on the bench.

Speaking after the game, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "There have been a couple of issues during the week that concerned us in terms of the spirit of the club.

"On such an important day, I felt that Ruud should be left out. We will be discussing it with club directors."


Next article: Man Utd's Van Nistelrooy furious at Keane block

Previous article: Jesper Olsen suffers brain haemorrhage

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?